E.14th Street & 23rd Avenue

Circa 1900

Taking a ride on East 14th Street

Public transportation played an important role in the development of Oakland. In 1876 a single-horse-car track was the only mark of progress at 14th Street and Broadway. By 1900, twenty or more electric cars passed the same corner daily and "electric railroads" reached out in every direction from downtown Oakland with 150 miles of track and 10 miles of cable. A single trip, including transfer, cost five cents. The East 14th Street line, pictured here at 23rd Avenue, connected Oakland with the outlying "suburbs" of Melrose, Seminary Park and Elmhurst.

BACK TO 19th CENTURY