13th Avenue

13thave1890.jpg (19764 bytes)
The end of the redwood trail
A look down Walker Street (13th Avenue) and  beyond into the Alameda Estuary. Washington Street (East 12th Street ) ran along the shore in 1890 when this photo was taken. One can trace our present-day 13th Avenue to Park Boulevard  and up along Sausal Creek. The stretch of Park along Sausal Creek, which was developed in the 1920s, bore no name in the 19th century as it reached the ancient stand of redwoods. According to the information on the back of the photo, Derby’s Lumber Wharf stood here, a vestige of the terminus of the redwood trail.